Monday, November 2, 2009
IES ELECTRONICS & TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
(For both objective and conventional type papers)
1. Materials and Components :
Structure and properties of Electrical Engineering materials; Conductors, Semiconductors and Insulators, magnetic, Ferroelectric, Piezoelectric, Ceramic, Optical and Super-conducting materials. Passive components and characteristics Resistors, Capacitors and Inductors; Ferrites, Quartz crystal Ceramic resonators, Electromagnetic and Electromechanical components.
2. Physical Electronics, Electron Devices and ICs:
Electrons and holes in semiconductors, Carrier Statistics, Mechanism of current flow in a semiconductor, Hall effect; Junction theory; Different types of diodes and their characteristics; Bipolar Junction transistor; Field effect transistors; Power switching devices like SCRs, GTOs, power MOSFETS; Basics of ICs - bipolar, MOS and CMOS types; basic of Opto Electronics.
3. Signals and Systems
Classification of signals and systems: System modelling in terms of differential and difference equations; State variable representation; Fourier series; Fourier transforms and their application to system analysis; Laplace transforms and their application to system analysis; Convolution and superposition integrals and their applications; Z-transforms and their applications to the analysis and characterisation of discrete time systems; Random signals and probability, Correlation functions; Spectral density; Response of linear system to random inputs.
4. Network theory
Network analysis techniques; Network theorems, transient response, steady state sinusoidal response; Network graphs and their applications in network analysis; Tellegen's theorem. Two port networks; Z, Y, h and transmission parameters. Combination of two ports, analysis of common two ports. Network functions : parts of network functions, obtaining a network function from a given part. Transmission criteria : delay and rise time, Elmore's and other definitions effect of cascading. Elements of network synthesis.
5. Electromagnetic Theory
Analysis of electrostatic and magnetostatic fields; Laplace's and Poisson's equations; Boundary value problems and their solutions; Maxwell's equations; application to wave propagation in bounded and unbounded media; Transmission lines : basic theory, standing waves, matching applications, microstrip lines; Basics of wave guides and resonators; Elements of antenna theory.
6. Electronic Measurements and instrumentation
Basic concepts, standards and error analysis; Measurements of basic electrical quantities and parameters; Electronic measuring instruments and their principles of working : analog and digital, comparison, characteristics, application. Transducers; Electronic measurements of non electrical quantities like temperature, pressure, humidity etc; basics of telemetry for industrial use.
ELECTRONICS & TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING PAPER - II
(For both objective and conventional type papers)
1. Analog Electronic Circuits :
Transistor biasing and stabilization. Small signal analysis. Power amplifiers. Frequency response. Wide banding techniques. Feedback amplifiers. Tuned amplifiers. Oscillators. Rectifiers and power supplies. Op Amp, PLL, other linear integrated circuits and applications. Pulse shaping circuits and waveform generators.
2. Digital Electronic Circuits :
Transistor as a switching element; Boolean algebra, simplification of Boolean functions, Karnaguh map and applications; IC Logic gates and their characteristics; IC logic families : DTL, TTL, ECL, NMOS, PMOS and CMOS gates and their comparison; Combinational logic Circuits; Half adder, Full adder; Digital comparator; Multiplexer Demulti-plexer; ROM an their applications. Flip flops. R-S, J-K, D and T flip-flops; Different types of counters and registers Waveform generators. A/D and D/A converters. Semiconductor memories.
3. Control Systems :
Transient and steady state response of control systems; Effect of feedback on stability and sensitivity; Root locus techniques; Frequency response analysis. Concepts of gain and phase margins: Constant-M and Constant-N Nichol's Chart; Approximation of transient response from Constant-N Nichol's Chart; Approximation of transient response from closed loop frequency response; Design of Control Systems, Compensators; Industrial controllers.
4. Communication Systems :
Basic information theory; Modulation and detection in analogue and digital systems; Sampling and data reconstructions; Quantization & coding; Time division and frequency division multiplexing; Equalization; Optical Communication : in free space & fiber optic; Propagation of signals at HF, VHF, UHF and microwave frequency; Satellite Communication.
5. Microwave Engineering :
Microwave Tubes and solid state devices, Microwave generation and amplifiers, Waveguides and other Microwave Components and Circuits, Microstrip circuits, Microwave Antennas, Microwave Measurements, Masers, lasers; Microwave propagation.
Microwave Communication Systems terrestrial and Satellite based.
6. Computer Engineering :
Number Systems. Data representation; Programming; Elements of a high level programming language PASCAL/C; Use of basic data structures; Fundamentals of computer architecture; Processor design; Control unit design; Memory organisation, I/o System Organisation. Microprocessors : Architecture and instruction set of Microprocessors 8085 and 8086, Assembly language Programming. Microprocessor Based system design : typical examples. Personal computers and their typical uses.
MCQ's on BASIC ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
Importent websites for engg students
IES CUT-OFF MARKS
Marks obtained out of 1000 to qualify for the written test (5 papers * 200 marks/paper)
E & T
E & T
Electrical DC Theory Quiz
Basic Electrical Code Quiz
Electrical Circuits Volume-1 DC
Electrical Circuits Volume-2 AC
Electrical Circuits Volume-3 Semiconductors
Electrical Circuits Volume-4 Digital
Electrical Circuits Volume-5 Reference
Electrical Circuits Volume-6 Experiments
Intermediate Electrical Code Quiz
Advanced Electrical Code
Basic Electrical Prints
ELECTRICAL ENGG IIT VIDEOS
Electrical - Power Sys Generation Transmission Distribution by Prof.D.P.Kothari
Electrical - Power Electronics by Prof. B.G. Fernandes
Electrical - Power System Analysis by Prof.A.K.Sinha
Electrical - Networks, Signals and Systems by Prof. T.K.Basu
Electrical - Networks and Systems by Prof.V.G.K.Murti
Electrical - Illlumination Engineering rof. N.K. Kishore
Electrical - Energy Resources and Technology by Prof.S.Banerjee
Electrical - Electro Magnetic Fields by Prof. harishankar Ramachandran
Electronics - Digital Systems Design by Prof.D.Roychoudhury
Electronics - Digital Signal Processing by Prof. S.C Dutta Roy
Electronics - Digital Circuits and Systems by Prof. S. Srinivasan
Electrical - Control Engineering by Prof. S. D. Agashe
Electrical - Circuit Theory Prof.S.C Dutta Roy
Electronics - Broadband Networks by Prof. Karandikar
Electrical - Basic Electrical Technology by Dr.L Umanand
Electrical - Analog ICs by Prof. K.Radhakrishna Rao
Electrical - Industrial Drives - Power Electronics by Prof. K Gopakumar
Electrical - Power System Operations and Control by Prof.S.N.Singh
Indian Institute of Technology -IITs
Indian Institute of Management -IIMs
- IIM - Kozhikode (Calicut)
- IIM - Indore
- IIM - Lucknow
- IIM - Calcutta
- IIM - Bangalore
- IIM - Ahemdabad
Education Web Links
- Employment News
- West Bengal University Of Technology
- Technical Education Maharashtra
- UP Technical University
- Kerala Entrance Examinations
- Karnataka Examinations Authority
- All India Council Technical Education - AICTE
- University Grants Commission
- Medical Council of India
1. NIT Warangal (Andhra Pradesh) http://www.nitw.ac.in/
2. NIT Trichy (Tamil Nadu) http://www.nitt.edu/
3. Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology Nagpur (Maharashtra) http://www.vnitnagpur.ac.in/
4. Indian Institute of information Technology, Allahabad (UP) http://www.iiita.ac.in/
5. NIT Suratkal, Mangalore (Karnataka) http://www.nitk.ac.in/
6. Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad (UP) http://www.mnnit.ac.in/
7. International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh) http://www.iiit.ac.in/
8. Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur (Rajasthan) http://www.mnit.ac.in/
9. NIT Rourkela (Orissa) http://www.nitrkl.ac.in/
10. NIT Kurukshetra (Haryana) http://www.nitkkr.ac.in/
11. Atal Bihari Vajpayee Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management, Gwalior (MP) http://www.iiitm.ac.in/
12. Birla Institute of Technology Mesra, Ranchi (Jharkhand) http://www.bitmesra.ac.in/
13. National Institute of Technology Jamshedpur (Jharkhand) http://www.nitjsr.ac.in/
14. National Institute of Technology Durgapur (West Bengal) http://www.nitdgp.ac.in/
15. National Institute of Technology Calicut (Kerala) http://www.nitc.ac.in/
16. Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology Bhopal (MP) http://www.manit.ac.in/
17. National Institute of Technology Rourkela (Orissa) http://www.nitrkl.ac.in/
18. National Institute of Technology Raipur (Chhattisgarh) http://www.nitrr.ac.in/
19. Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat (Gujarat) http://www.svnit.ac.in/
20. National Institute of Technology Hamirpur (Himachal Pradesh) http://www.nitham.ac.in/
For addresses of colleges and number of seat information, visit here.